Friday, July 25, 2008

Respect

Most of the time I'm oblivious to the drama that takes place at school. My closest friend and I eat lunch by ourselves, sheltering us from what really happens between classmates. I didn't realize how plain rude students could be until I spent two weeks eating lunch with different people, as the aforementioned friend was on a trip. While she was gone, I witnessed a level of immaturity that I had no idea took place. Friends back-stabbing other friends, older students looking down upon younger ones. I felt out of place. Showing such disrespect for one another in a school that claimed to be close and at peace was contradictory to everything Polaris stood for.
The worst part about it was that I could feel myself being sucked into it. A mind subconsciuosly tells you that it's okay to think what everyone else thinks. And so, accordingly, I would catch myself thinking disrespectful thoughts about someone, crticizing people I had no right to criticize. I was constantly having to keep myself in-check and in-line with my morals.
My message is clear and simple: degrading someone does not make you superior to them. On the contrary, it makes you just as low as you feel the person you're degrading is. Remind yourself of what is right, and share with others how you feel about their comments and actions. Together we can change the mindsets of students in schools.

Moral of the story:
The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else.
Whitney Young (1921 - 1971)